I am not absolutely sure if I am the first one who did this, but it seems at least noone else wrote it down until now. 🙂
We hat a customer who liked our Office365 Provider-Hosted App “Mydea”, but wanted us to install that on his SharePoint 2013 – Installation. In Germany a lot of companies do not trust the cloud. So we had three options:
- Tell the customer this does not work
- Copy&paste the whole solution and change it so it works on OnPrem
- Do something else
The first option – of course – wasn’t valid for me. The second would have worked. But I did not want to end up in maintanance hell. Our product is about innovation management. And the most innovative about that is the product itself. We develop agile, adding new features (and sometimes bugs) continuously. We do not want to do that twice.
So I ended up on the third option: Changing my solution so it will run in an Office365 – SharePoint and on an On-Premise installation of SharePoint 2013 (or above).